Friday, 15 October 2010

15/10/10

I'm back in my favourite haunt - McDonalds!  The McDonalds here are much much fancier than at home.  I might even miss not spending so much time her since as of Tuesday our internet will be installed in the flat.  We're still hyper about this flat, I thought it might have worn off by now but clearly not!  We sign the contract and get the keys on Monday.  And we'll probably move in on Wednesday after school once we've got all our stuff moved over.  We already have a house warming planned and French games nights and dinner parties and bring a French friend nights...  I rule at Articulate at home and I don't want my reputation to be ruined so I'll need to brush up on my French so I can dominate here too!

One thing the flat doesn't have is a washing machine and I'm not over the moon about that because yesterday Emily and I attempted to master the laundrette.  It was a bit of a challenge to begin with but we got the hang of it and successfully did 2 loads of washing.  The scary man watching us doing our washing wasn't a problem..... carrying 2 tonnes of wet clothes home wasn't a problem....finding somewhere to hang everything to dry wasn't even a problem. The problem was it cost us 11 euros!!  Daylight robbery.  We noticed our landlord had a washing machine in one of the other empty flats he had so I'm going to have to ask him to give it to us.  That's 11 euros that could get me to Paris!

Talking of Paris, it's a bit unsure whether or not we'll make it tomorrow.  It's very unconsiderate of the French population to decide to strike when I have some travelling to do.  It's been going on since last Tuesday and the buses have been a bit unrealiable but now they're just completely cancelled.  So it might be a bit of an adventure trying to get a bus in to town tomorrow and try and get a different train since ours is one of the ones cancelled.  I was a bit worried about getting stuck in Paris in the event of the return train being cancelled too but I suppose if that happens I should look on it as a good thing!  Can't complain about an extra day in my favourite city :)

The strikes seem to be getting worse.  I had a nice lie in this morning but Emily had to get up and go to school early and her bus was diverted.  She later found out it was because there were bins on fire on the road.  Students are barricading the entrance to schools, classes are half empty and there's rioting.  This seems to be the reason the buses have been cancelled.  So we've been forced to spend all afternoon and probably night too in McDonalds.

I haven't even really done any work yet.  A lot of my classes have been cancelled this week, in part due to the strikes.  And in the few that I have had I've just been observing.  It looks like most of next week will be observation too and then we've got nearly a fortnights holiday so I won't start teaching until after the holidays.  Not bad!

Fingers crossed we get to Paris tomorrow!! X

No comments:

Post a Comment