Monday, 11 October 2010

11/10/10

Apparently writing a blog on a year abroad is the in thing to do so I thought I'd give it a go!

Today is my 11th day in France so I've got a bit of a story to tell already to catch people up.

I very almost didn't get here since I thought the time on the boarding pass meant the last time for you to check in at the desk.  It was actually the time you were supposed to board the plane.  So as Mark and I finally made our way past security and into the departure lounge 10 minutes after the specified time, we heard an announcement advising it was the last call for the final 2 passengers for the flight to Paris.  We ran through the departure lounge and just as we reached the door the next announcement came on announcing the gate was closed.  I've never ran so fast in my life!  I can't believe they let us on the plane but thankfully they did.



We spent a couple of days in Paris casually taking in the sights.  There wasn't any rush really since I'm only 45 minutes away by train.  I plan on visiting a lot over the next few months and getting to know Paris like the back of my hand.  I met my friend Alex on the Saturday night and the three of us spent a few hours walking around the streets seeing different art and music performances for an event called La Nuit Blanche.  I must admit quite a bit of this time was dedicated to obtaining as may neon glowing buttons as possible from the Samsung sponsored installation.  In the end we got 5 mostly down to Alex!



After Paris we headed 1st class over to Reims. There was a bit of a struggle with a bus journey after the train ride which left us stranded in what felt like the middle of nowhere and which meant a walk along a dual carriageway dragging our cases behind us on a pavement about 40 cms wide.  However, we finally made it to the hostel where we were staying for the induction.  Straight away I met some lovely people who are definitely going to help make my time here amazing.

After all the induction ended we made our way to the school where I was going to be living and that's when the misery started!!  It's really not the nicest place in the world to be living.  Certainly not the worst but it could be miles better.  It's dirty, cold (we've been told the heating doesn't get switched on until later in the year), no privacy (shower cubicles and toilets are in a hall where dozens of different staff and students pass each day), uncomfortable bed, not allowed visitors....the list goes on.  Emily who stays at the same school as me felt the same and our friend Jen felt the same about where she was put.  So we immediately set about finding somewhere to live together in the centre of town.  It's taken until today to find that place and I can't describe how over the moon we are!  We've got the gas people organised to come and connect us up, wifi, tv and telephone sorted, insurance....we've surprised ourselves at how organised we are!  We should be moved in by the end of next week.  Looking forward to the day when I don't have to spend hours in McDonalds making use of their free wifi and I can instead lie comfortable and warmly in bed on my laptop!






Apart from apartment hunting we had a good night out last Friday.  It was a chance for all the assistants here to catch up and see how we got on during our first few solo days.  There's a strike tomorrow so I'll be stuck in the school all day because there won't be any buses running.  Suppose I'll walk to McDonald's and catch up on my tv.  And then this weekend I'm Paris bound to see Alex in concert!  So I should hopefully have lots to tell later in the week!  I'll put in a few more pics and then it's au revoir for now!


Reims cathedral - we have a view from our flat!


Emily and Me - looks like we're just drinking orange juice doesn't it.......



Flatmates!


2 comments:

  1. aww huni looks great, too bad about your accommodation but good job in getting somewhere better.

    bonne chance!

    cat :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your place looks lovely!!! but you realise you don't need to go to mcds for wifi! I found a nice little place in troyes that does wifi... though I can't remember exactly where I found it :s

    Come help me organise!!

    ReplyDelete